Discover Syntor Specialtly Chemicals
Our partner Syntor has newly developed specific Low Volatil Organic Compounds, LoVOC® formulations with applications focused on adhesives and high tech surface coatings:
These products are unique to Syntor Specialty Chemicals Ltd :
More than 40 patents were applied. They cover more than 300 monomers used on various markets as industrial adhesives or coatings but also automotive or more specific markets.
The Core Group forms the backbone and determines the properties of the LoVOC® polymer. It has little effect on rate of monomer polymerisation.
The End Group determines the properties of the LoVOC® monomer and is responsible for the polymerisation reaction.
LoVOC® DO NOT UTILIZE ANY SOLVENT so they are environmentally friendly. They can be thermally or UV cured.
A wide range of chemical groups are possible:
- Extending chain length impacts pliable plastic properties as opposed to brittleness for shorter chain lengths
- Halogenation of the core group affects water-proofing, corrosion resistance and general dust and dirt protective properties
- Perfluoroalkyl groups can affect water permeability of an adhesive or sealant for example
- Hydroxy groups in the monomer can increase water solubility of the polymer with potential applications in water based coatings and adhesives
- Triethoxysilane groups improve adhesion to glass, metal, ceramics and concrete
- Using a quaternary ammonium salt as a core group can adjust water retention, porosity, conductivity and impart anti-microbial properties
Many applications in various areas:
For textiles, these formulations are used for bonding of textiles to rubber. They can be used for example in acoustic components, in air bags or soft top roofing for convertible cars, for dry suits, inflatable boats, marine ropes…
In automotive paints, some LoVOC® formulations are adhesion promoters as primer to low energy surfaces (such as polyethylene, polypropylene, ethylene propylene diene monomer and polyvinyl chloride). They can be used in a polyurethane top coat application.
For printing inks, they can aid printing onto HDPE bottles or onto glass, avoiding the use of labels.
LoVOC® formulations produce durable surface coatings with specific properties which could include, but not limited to: ice-phobic, hydrophobic, anti-drag, anti-fouling, anti-microbial.
More widely, application areas would include aerospace, automotive, wind turbine, domestic and industrial heat exchangers, marine and medical equipment.
If you want to know more about these new formulations, please do not hesitate to contact us!